Saturday 19 May 2012

Tutorial Work

In this week's tutorial, I worked on the elevations to make them more realistic, and completed a building section, that aimed to show some of the qualities of the building as described in the narrative. I also had a play with some interior views, again taken from the narrative. I also considered the site and the entry and exit patterns of visitors.
This is the Northern Elevation... and the building as viewed from the front. The shading gives and indication of the possible facade treatment as inspired by my earlier example.

This is the Southern Elevation. It gives a bit of an indication of some possible locations for glazing. Considering the fact that I have living things (plants AND animals) inside my building in a controlled environment, the amount of natural light getting in is essential.

This is the Western Elevation. Again, the use of the facade treatment around the building and an indication of the glazing.

This is a cross section, north to south, through the centre of the building. It gives an indication of each of the spaces, from the tiny entry lobby, to the presentation space looking out towards the Biospace, the platforms that wind up through the Biospace to the top exhibition space in the canopy of the trees. Clearly, there is not enough glazing present to support life. This is something that I need to consider carefully.

This is just a quirky representation of the use of glazing in the top exhibition area to reveal glimpses of the Biospace outside as described in the narrative. Considering the different levels, the children can have a bit of fun looking out. :D

Just an indication of the ramp winding up through the Biospace.

In this image, I am considering how I want people to exit and enter the space. I really wish for there to be a ferry stop underneath/between the Story Bridge pilons. I then considered the fact that not everyone will want to enter via the River (seasick people perhaps?!) which would limit visitors (we CAN'T have that :P). So I considered a boardwalk that comes around to meet the pier. Again, flow could be an issue if the building is that close in proximity to the other buildings.


From here, it was now essential to consider the light entering the site to inform the most efficient placement of the building.  

No comments:

Post a Comment