Wednesday 30 May 2012

Some roof experimentation

The geodesic roof was doing my head in!!!!! So I decided to have a go at physically modelling it.
A giant jungle gym!!!

View from the side.

View from the top. 

A view from inside.

Another view from inside.

A close up of the connection, looking straight up. 

Yet another view from inside. 
It is very vibrant, but that was more to do with the fact that I found coloured matchsticks and couldn't be bothered finding boring coloured ones! To create this structure, I started by making triangles. I chose triangles over pentagons or hexagons (such as were in Buckminster Fuller's plans) as they were the easiest to construct. I hot glued each corner, and then hot glued the triangles together. As I was placing them, the arranged into hexagons and pentagons, and started to fold and rise in an awesome way! I really like the model, I think it is very tactile (for all the fact that it looks like a Grade 3 student made it!!!!) and very vibrant. The next challenge is to model it on the computer. Yuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment